Saturday 30 August 2008

Nuclear Deal

I am curious to read the Hyde Act and the 123 agreement of nuclear deal, but unfortunately time does not permit me to do so. All of us have been following the latest happening for this deal very closely. I am not an expert to comment whether it is good for India or no, but i was disturbed with the way this was evaluated.

Right from the day this started between the ruling party and left, I have not heard any fact based reason from either parties as to why it is good or bad. Isn't this s simple capital budgeting exercise that we are taught in basic finance. Someone should have simply calculated the NPV and if it is positive than it makes sense to go ahead else abandon.

Neither any news paper nor any news channel covered this aspect. People do criticise saying that decisions are not made basis spreadsheet. However I never say that decisions should be based on spreadsheet, I am only saying that decisions cannot be made without spreadsheet. There is a big difference in both the statements.

During the parliament session I was expecting someone to raise the point on the profit or loss that the country will make due to this. But to my surprise there was mention of kalawati, prabhawati, etc. but no one said the gains or loss we would make.

Its surprising! We have moved away from basics...

No comments: